No. No. 8 St. Paul’s lacrosse outlasts No. 5 Gilman, 17-15

St. Paul’s junior forward Jack Iannantuono was double-teamed and fell to the ground Saturday as the shot clock ticked down. Somehow he made a move.

His goal, with 32 seconds to play, was the best in a match where there were a lot of them. It gave the No. 8 Crusaders the first two-goal advantage for either team in the second half and proved to be the final goal as St. Paul’s claimed a 17-15 win over the No. 5 Greyhounds in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association . A conference game.

Iannantuono finished with five goals and two assists, while fellow junior forward Luke Bair scored six times and added an assist as St. Paul’s (8-4) improved to 3-2 in conference play. A packed crowd at Gilman alumni weekend saw a great game that ended with a disappointing result for the home team, who fell to 11-3 overall and lost the first conference game to fall to 4-1.

Trailing by one with 3:34 to play, the Crusaders got Ryan Viscarrondo’s tying goal and then Grady O’Day’s go-ahead goal with 2:16 to go. Iannantuono’s effort proved to be a microcosm of the visitors’ play in those final minutes.

“There was a great atmosphere and Gilman is a great team, so we knew we had to get ready to play,” Iannantuono said. “I think it was just perseverance and trusting ourselves and going to the rack.”

As for his insurance goal: “They came to double me and I just knew I had to go. I fell, but I just kept it up.”

The Crusaders made it clear early on that they were determined to ruin the Greyhounds’ special day. They took a 3-1 lead in the first quarter and went ahead 6-3 after Viscarrondo’s first goal with 8:21 to play in the second.

But the Greyhounds, behind a five-goal performance from senior Jay Wilkerson, scored five straight goals to take an 8-6 lead with 1:51 remaining in the half. Iannantuono scored a crucial goal with five seconds left before halftime, cutting the lead to 8–7, and the match remained close for the rest of the game.

In the second half the score was equal eight times. Sebastian Chaney scored his second goal of the fourth quarter to give the Greyhounds their last lead of the game, 15-14, with 4:56 remaining.

The Crusaders finished with the biggest and final set of goals of the day. Viscarrondo finished with three goals, O’Day had two goals and one assist and goalkeeper Gordie Smith made eight saves.

It’s a victory the Crusaders can build on.

“We had a full week to prepare for them and had some tough practices, some tough practices,” St. Paul’s coach Steve Settembrino said. “And we told the guys how much everyone believes in them and how they need to believe in themselves. I think today showed how raw, how tough and how bad they want it.”